Sunday 2 November 2008

day 1 ~ life assessment

i have to confess i am a bit of a personal development junkie. but never before have i been given such guided foundations to work from.

the level 3 questions were particularly enlightening and took me somewhat by surprise, as i had worked through the previous two levels methodically and didn't think there were any surprises in store...

but the way the questions were phrased: wow. they made me look at physical environment VERY differently. and, where under most normal circumstances, if anyone had asked me how i felt about my home i would have said, "i love it". (and i do.) i still found myself answering "no" to many of the questions. i didn't expect that!

the great thing is however, within the question also lies the answer. for example:
do "all of the objects in my bedroom give me joy and contribute to my feeling balanced?" i answered no, and so i know now that over the next 28 days i will clear out anything that doesn't give me said joy. perfect. particularly as i was only thinking the other day how to remove some of this clutter!

unfortunately i am still somewhat stuck with the life questions. i still stumble and want to come out with answers that sparkle. and everything seems drab and predictable. i think that's one of my greatest fears, that there is nothing beyond that. that this is it. this is me: a little drab and predictable...

still i remain hopeful, and will push on to see what the remaining 27 days uncover...

12 comments:

Allison said...

Good for you for keeping hope.

Serena Lewis said...

Try not to let your fears about outcomes hinder your process. Be honest and gentle with yourself without fear of judgement. You are exactly where you need to be at this present moment. Enjoy the journey into your soul. That's what I am affirming to myself daily so it might help you too.

Blessings ~

meghan said...

I felt the same way! I was surprised to find how many answers were no. It threw me a little actually. Like you, I am hoping that these 28 days clear out the gunk - most of which I hadn't really noticed. I am so glad to be shocked by the first day - it means we'll get something out of this process!!!!!

I hear you!

Unknown said...

I love the clarity that we get by asking the questions. The quality of the questions we ask determines the quality of the life we live.

Enjoy the journey!

Judi said...

I've noticed that many of us are surprised at our answers - which probably means that our spirits directed us to this project! And commenting on each other's blogs is so encouraging.

Danette said...

I hear you. I honestly couldn't even do that exercise, because we gutted most of our home 3 years ago and it has been so so slow putting it back together. The thought of going through each room is too overwhelming. I already know the answers.

Where I can apply this exercise is in our plans and visions for the house. Even still I am surprised to ask myself if I love the plan for the bedroom and the answer is, "meh".

Thank you for your comments on my blog. It is a pleasure to meet another self proclaimed Personal Development Junkie. ;)

Anonymous said...

it always amazes me how i "think" i am conscious of something, but then when i sit down to write about it, i have some entirely new realization. i actually felt intimidated by some of the questions -- like how could i possibly be able to articulate my answers in one day? glad to hear you are surprising yourself with your answers -- like megg said -- we're learning something!

Tori said...

I was very surprised by some of the questions as well. Denise asked things that I just wouldn't ordinarily think about.

I don't think it is possible for anyone to be drab! Everyone has a spark to them. It is just a matter of seeing it. =)

Jamie Ridler said...

What a great idea to turn the questions around to discover the answers. I bet that's true for the life questions too. Instead of clearing out objects that don't bring you joy, start clearing out choices, beliefs and activities that don't sparkle!

Averil said...

I totally relate to the feeling of "this is it, this is me: a little drab and predictable" *or insert less-than-flattering descriptors here...

Luckily, today's affirmation is "My evaluation of myself is not who I am!"

I think that even if we are behaving a certain way right now, we have to remember that is not necessarily who we are. That said, "drab and predictable" can easily be reframed as "secure and stable," two adjectives I personally aspire to!

Kelly said...

Two things you are NOT are drab and predictable, I barely know you and I know that you are not that. I too am a self development junkie and today was tough for me because like you said the foundation of this program is very focused and I usually am not. So thank you for being so honest in your post, I understand what it's like to want to have answers that sparkle, but one thing that truly sparkles no matter how ugly it is-is the truth. I really enjoyed your post!
See you tomorrow!

Nydia said...

I lso found this first day incredibly intense! I answered all the life questions in amazing surprise with myself. But I'm so happy that I decided taking part of this! I feel like an onion having my layers taken off by myself! LOL

Kisses and keep the challenge!