Monday 3 November 2008

day 2 ~ making a commitment

i am blown away by the others taking part in this journey: both by the words written on your own blogs and the kind comments left on mine. and that alone is giving me the impetus to stay committed to this, but i know more is required...

i wanted to play full out today but, as it was my husbands first day off nights, i got a little distracted! so it's just a level one commitment for now. and probably just as well. i tend to get a little carried away with resolutions, and then end up completing very few of them!

what i'm going to commit to, for the next 28 days, is not write anything undermining myself in my soul coaching posts. this is something i have always struggled with. sometimes because i am genuinely uncertain or insecure. sometimes to be modest. sometimes because i fear if i don't point out my flaws, someone else will. and sometimes because i think it makes me a little more likeable, unthreatening. but i realise this actually serves very little purpose. and it certainly does not bring me any closer to who i want to be.

some time ago i read this quote:
our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. it is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. we ask ourselves, who am i to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? actually, who are you not to be? you are a child of god. your playing small does not serve the world. there is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. we are all meant to shine, as children do. we were born to make manifest the glory of god that is within us. it's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. and as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. as we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.
~ marianne williamson
and it resonated deeply with me. and today it speaks to me louder than ever.

17 comments:

Miss Robyn said...

oh lord, what is it about us? many of us are so hard on ourselves.. I can relate totally with pointing our my flaws, especially to myself.. I am working through this and at the moment, I seem to be on top of it...
remember through your journey this month to be gentle with yourself.
love & light for your November Soul Coaching xo
love that quote.. I think I might copy it out and put it into my Soul Journal

Kelly said...

That quote is so powerful, I always forget it so maybe I should post it somewhere I can see it more often. I'm over playing small and it seems you are too!! Thanks for your honesty! See you tomorrow!!

Mjfontaine said...

That is a good idea not to write anything undermining.

Its gonna be great walking this journey with you and the others.

Isn't it funny how we are so hard on ourselves!

meghan said...

I have that quote stuck up on my mirror - but like anything, you stop seeing the things around you after awhile - I think I need to pay attention to it again!

I think that your resolution is a great one - one of the hardest things in the world is to be NICE to yourself! I will be as supportive as I can!!

Serena Lewis said...

I love that quote too...it is filled with such meaning and truth.

Be gentle with yourself, Pen*.

Blessings ~

Unknown said...

That quote has a beacon of light for me over the last few years.

We allow you to shine your light!

Danette said...

Wow, what a powerful commitment!

I bask in the light you are shining. :)

Genie Sea said...

sometimes because i fear if i don't point out my flaws, someone else will. and sometimes because i think it makes me a little more likeable, unthreatening. but i realise this actually serves very little purpose.
This totally resonates with me. Yet, it is our flaws that make the beauty sharper, the wisdom deeper, and the experience worth it! :)

Tori said...

Wow! What a powerful, inspiring quote! It is what I needed to read.

I love your commitment. It is something I myself need to work on. I am always afraid if I don't point out my own flaws someone else will.

Judi said...

I love that quote. I know what you mean about making too many commitments too!

Anonymous said...

Right on!! you keep on going, this was a great post and I so admire your commitment for the next 27 days.
Peace~
Dawn

Allison said...

Amazing. Simply amazing.

Jamie Ridler said...

What a beautiful commitment.

Shine on!

Turtleheart said...

What a beautiful quote, I love it! I am another one who is too hard on myself. You have made a wonderful, empowering, loving commitment and I cheer you on!

Leah said...

wow, i love the commitment you made!! such a great idea!

Anonymous said...

This is really good for me to read.
I have been really hard on myself for not unpacking and setting my new apartment as quickly as I thought it should go.
So much work, easy to be hard on myself....I love this post!
*hugs*

Suzie Ridler said...

Yes! Keeping a positive dialogue with yourself, about yourself is a fantastic idea. I know you can do it! Reprogramming is tough but it can be done.